Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Cats Social Bonds

Cats form strong social bonds with each other, although some may be introverted or lead solitary lives. I had 3 cats that were always together. One cat (Lubissa) was unsocial who would come to me only at feeding time. I was unable to touch her. She remained with me 13 years and in the last year would allow me to pet her on her terms; sometimes coming up to me. Although she was unsocial, she craved the togetherness of the other 2 cats. At times she would seek Tara (the dog), but Tara was never interested. There was another cat (Silo) who was also unsocial but not as bad as Lubissa. His bond with Lubissa wasn’t as strong as with Alaima (the other cat). He was always in search of her and tolerated Lubissa. Alaima, seemed to be the matriarch of the group, always on her own but tolerating Lubissa and Silo at all times. I recently lost Lubissa and Alaima so Silo is always alone. There are 2 other cats but they remain to themselves seeking only human affection.

Communication among cats consists of nose-touching, grooming each other, playful biting with purring, chirping, and meowing. They establish hierarchies, although they don’t remain permanent. They usually enjoy companionship, weather it’s another cat, human, or other animal. They do depend on humans greatly, although they practice a great deal of independence.

No comments: